Tuesday 11 February 2014

OUGD406 - Secret 7" - Visual Research.







Leif Podhajsky, originally from Czech Republic, is an Australian Graphic Designer.
He has worked with artists Tame Impala, Foals, The Horrors, Mount Kimbie and Bonobo.

I read an interview on vice's website that described Podhajsky's work very well.. 

"Leif Podhajsky is fast becoming one of the most prolific graphic designers in the industry. You may recognize his artwork on any number of Pitchfork-approved album covers, including both LPs by Tame Impala, as well as releases from Grimes, Shabazz Palaces, Lykki Li and Foals. He's known for his modern take on classic psychedelic art, employing repetitive geometric imagery and swirled-out nature tropes. Podhajsky's website rightfully boasts that his work "explores themes of connectedness, the relevance of nature and the psychedelic or altered experience."  "

Although I had decided to continue further into my illustrations, previous to the interim crit I wanted to manipulate imagery and photographs and reappropriate Leif's symmetrical approaches to album art work. His album covers are very captivating and catch the audiences eye very well, which is supported by the rise in popularity he has gained online in recent years.



I split an image in two and then reflected it within photoshop. I copy and pasted the same image, then scaled it down in front of the first image. After this I rotated the image 45 degrees anti-clockwise and then did the same process again. 



I inverted the image to see if it would have a similar appeal to it. I don't think it works as well as it is obvious that it has been inverted.

The only issue with these designs is that they don't directly link to Karmacoma or massive attack in anyway. These are just purely for aesthetics. I think that they look interesting and that this method of overlapping the same image and reflecting it is appealing when done right. 

The photos used in these designs are mine, of which were taken at  Kimsooja's 'to breathe: bottari' instillation at the Korean Pavilion in the 2013 Venice Biennial exhibition. I think that the imagery I have used ties in well to Lief Podhajsky's work as it too looks psychedelic and quite funky. 



"Kimsooja has wrapped the entirety of the national pavilion's interior with a translucent film, dividing the build environment from nature. The skin diffracts the daylight, showering the internal structure with spectrums of light, the intensity of the rainbows of colour reflected onto the walls and floor. This metamorphosis is in direct correspondence to the movement of the sun rising and setting across the building, respiring to the natural fluctuations of the sun. Making it a 'breathing bottari', her piece 'the weaving factory' (2004-2013) fills the volume with the sound of the artist inhaling and exhaling, bringing it to life."





Mister Gone / Mr. Gone - Jack George Marshall







I chose to look into Jack Marshall's illustration (Mr.Gone) not only because I'm a fan of his work he has done for his brother Archy, (aka King Krule) but because I personally feel it represents a similar mood of that my own illustrated faces bring across. It creates a sombre tone and this is what I had aimed to achieve with my illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment