Saturday 2 November 2013

Studio Brief 2 - Problems with letters & development

Whilst in the process of producing the alphabet for studio brief 2, I have come across a few problems with fitting Garamond inside Clarendon. Some letters have required more editing than others. Here are the letters I've had most trouble with so far.
I struggled with fitting the J's together. The descender on the Clarendon 'J' curves around more than Garamond. It was challenging trying to extend the line weight of Garamond around the curve. I feel that this is one of the letters that wasn't executed as well as others. It was hard trying to keep a straight perfect curve. It didn't turn out amazing, but it was the best that could be done. 

The K letterform with Clarendon, has a bridge leading up to the leg. I had to move the leg of the Garamond K along the arm in order for it to fit in. It took me a while to figure out how to do this. More anchors were added within the outlines in illustrator to move it up.

The tail on the Garamond Q is longer than the one in Clarendon. I had to move the tail along to the right for it to fit within tail of the Q in Clarendon. I pushed the Garamond tail through the counter. I did this because the length was needed, otherwise it would appear to short. It was difficult trying to keep the curve of the tail whilst moving it into place.


Placing the W inside of Clarendon was difficult. The W in Garamond has a gap at the top,  between the two serif in the middle, whereas the W in Clarendon doesn't. I had to close the gap, which was an awkward thing to do. As I was closing the gap by moving in the anchors on illustrator, the angle of the vertex's and stems in the Garamond W changed and the line weight eventually got thicker. The apex's also had widened at the bottom of the Garamond letterform to fit inside Clarendon. This letter took the most amount of time to change. I think this is because of the differentiation between the two. They have a greater difference than any of the other letters between the two typefaces.

Although the process of creating this alphabet so far has been somewhat tedious, I have learned more about different anatomical elements in typefaces. This project has benefited my skills on illustrator as well as my knowledge and understanding of letterforms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment