Saturday 30 November 2013

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 1 - Frame Mock Ups

I hadn't produced digital mock ups for 2 of the concepts I brought to the interim crit. Since then I
decided to create them.

This is my Ikea influenced design. I'm very happy with how well this turned out, It definitely communicates to a wide audience as it is straight to the point, minimal and gives the information that is necessary. I used Avenir Black for the dimensions and material, which draws the audience to focus on them. I implemented a barcode to re-create Ikea's use of their own branded products, so it could be scanned at the checkout easily. The universal and japanese recycling symbols have been used, not only to let the consumer know that the material is recyclable, but to reach out to a wider audience as some countries might not understand certain icons. The incorporated elements from Ikea's layout in my design have overall created an effective design which I think could even be put to use in their frames.


Polaroid mock ups

These are the mock ups of the drawings I did for the Polaroid Frame concept, of which is currently the idea I'm going with for the final. I have used the typeface Bebas Neue on these backing paper designs because it is similar to the font that the Impossible Project use for their company branding. I also used the typeface News Gothic on one layout because it was by Paul Giambarba for the Original Polaroid Branding.

The polaroids placed on the designs are mine. This brief enables us to take images and manipulate them with skills learned in photoshop and as my concept is specifically for the use of polaroids, this gives me the opportunity to use my own polaroids and edit them to be displayed on these backing papers. The photographs used on two of these layouts are old pictures I took, I plan on taking a few polaroids this week to implement in more designs and perhaps the final ones. 

The exploded diagram on the layout below is the most effective our of the 4 in my opinion. It's minimal and clear. It helps give the audience a better idea of how the frame is placed together, I think it's important to consider this, otherwise if the audience bought the frame they might not have any idea how to fit it together. I could go further with this idea and write a small paragraph on the other side of the design, explaining how the frame is placed together. The design for 9 polaroids is supposed to represent a template that could be used to place the images, to give the audience an idea of the spacing on the images. The colours used on the word 'frame' are the same as the colour scheme from Impossible Project, who were influenced by Polaroid. I introduced my images into a template layout similar to the one for the 9 polaroids on the bottom right. The frame is for 4 polaroids to fit inside, however I don't think it works to well. Opacity was used on the images so the audience would focus on the text more, which also isn't very effective. I found it hard placing the type as the majority of the space was taken up by the images. 


No comments:

Post a Comment