Monday 13 January 2014

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 3 - Final Layouts + Feedback




Thee feedback from the crit was very helpful, however I forgot to add the crop/bleed marks when printing the b5 spread onto A3, which confused people a little bit. People suggested to align the image on the right page on my Opinions layout, but they didn't realise it went to bleed because the bleed marks were not used. People seemed to really like the font choice (Georgia & Avenir) I had used within the layouts.


FACT LAYOUT


I hadn't made any alterations to this layout page, other than turning off hyphenation. Simon informed the class to turn it off if there was no purpose for it to be used. I had completely forgotten about the option for turning off hyphenation before hand. I think it makes the spread look better. The blocks of text in the columns appear to be in a better formation than previously.


WORDS LAYOUT

No adjustments were made to this layout of the 20 words after the crit. People liked how simple it was and thought that the justified text centred was effective. I wanted the text to form a square/rectangular block of text as opposite there is also a rectangular image. I left white space around the image so it could catch the attention of the audience. 


OPINIONS LAYOUT


For the opinions layout page I had reduced the size of the graph as it was slightly too big previously. 
From the crit feedback, people commented that the colours used in the graph were not suitable and didn't match the content provided within the double page spread. Therefore I took the colour the way and inserted an Image, similar to the one on the right hand page, which produced a sort of clipping mask effect inside the bars, of which was suggested to try and implement. 
 I also incorporated the 'yes/no' within the image of the graph, which saved space. The graph was then able to appear square in the bottom of the page. The text on this layout was also un-hyphenated, which also made the blocks of text appear more structured. 


STATISTICS LAYOUT












I wanted to use another double page spread with a full image to the bleed, as I did with the Fact design layout. This layout is quite similar as it uses white text on an image and an enlarged quote. I placed another image on top of the background image because I felt that the content of the image, of which is a beer keg, fitted well within the spread. There was a lot of empty space and I think that the image makes an effective difference within the layout. After seeing 'BEER & NUMBERS' first, the eyes scroll across right to the image and then down to the big quote. I think the hierarchy used within this page works well.


PICTURE LAYOUT


I wanted to create something different within the image layout as there are an incredible amount of different outcomes and possibilities within this double page spread. I played a lot with the layout. I decided that I only wanted to use 4 images for this page and that I wanted one or two of them to touch the bleed of the page. I made sure that the distance between the top two, the bottom two the both top and bottom sets was the same.


OVERALL.
I'm satisfied with how all of the 5 double-page spread layouts have turned out. I think that they make the viewer more interested to read about beer and alcohol because of the format I have place them in. As my layout research was mainly on magazines, I wanted to transfer that approach to this, as which 'the green soccer journal' does; they make it appealing for not only people interested in the subject matter, but more people on the whole because of how well designed the text and images are put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment