Friday 6 December 2013

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 1 - Final Crit + Backing Paper Designs

Final Designs & Mock ups




Design boards??


The final crit was set out in a similar way as the interim crit. Group a + b left out work and then each assessed the other groups work. However I feel that I did not receive enough feedback. I think that this might of had something to do with the amount of people in each group (a + b). There was noticeably more people in my group room giving feedback as the room was quite crowded. I assume that people have forgotten what group there in and just decide to go in which ever group and ignore the list on the wall outside the studio. Like the last crit we had to write 3 questions down for the person leaving feedback to answer. However I was cheeky and wrote 4 questions.

My Questions;
  • Can you see these designs being used in a photography/camera shop?
  • Do the designs communicate to the target audience? Or not?
  • Would you say that the design layout functions in helping the audience make the decision to buy the frame? 
  • Do the designs fit the 'Impossible Project' ethos?


From the feedback I received, the comments mentioned that my work was functional and looked professional. People also responded saying that the backing papers communicated to the target audience and that it would be suitable on display in a camera store. I've learned from these crits that when presenting the work for people to make comments on, it's necessary for it to be annotated otherwise people may leave responses that may not be of any use. Putting more thought into the questions for people to reply too is another thing that I have realised makes a difference, because when writing down questions that are not relevant, the answers won't be helpful, which means making progress will be difficult as well as creating a more effect piece of work.

Overall I feel that my work has been quite successful, I've managed to create a working set of backing paper designs that not only inform the audience with key information about the frame, but also show how it is put together. Although my dimensions for the frames are different to what are suggested in the brief, I feel that the decision to create backing paper designs for an actual product from Impossible Project linked in well with the brief as it ties into the research and the image theme of the project. 
With this project I feel that I could of explored the use of colour more, as it is an important element of the polaroid and Impossible branding. I could of experimented with the old polaroid aesthetic and incorporated it into the backing papers for the Impossible frames. As my designs were influenced from Ikea's functionality and minimalistic approach, they appeared quite simple, which is what I was attempting. However, I think that I could of explored the use of image more within photoshop as I had only scratched the surface of what could be achieved with the tools in the software. But this brief has given me a better understanding of the way I can utilise photoshops features with images and this is something I'm going to carry out on other tasks. 


Design Boards



No comments:

Post a Comment