Friday 17 January 2014

OUGD405 - Studio Brief 4 - Logo Design

I took influence from this logo design I found online from a behance project.
I noticed that a lot of beer companies use banners that wrap around the centre of their logo. It's almost like a traditional element to beer logo design. I like the shape used within this design and thought it related well to breweries and beer, with the added barley.

I found this image randomly on google images whilst searching for casks and kegs. I like how simple the cask has been printed. Just an outline with four lines. I incorporated this design into my own and placed an X on each of them, to represent the beer, of which the branded kit is intended to be for. (Triple X, Pale Ale)

Problems I came across when designing the logo, where how to make text follow along a curve. Initially I had been using the warp effects in illustrator to make the text bend into a curve. However after a long time I realised there was a Text/Type tool that allowed the text to follow a line or a curve. This would of saved me a huge amount of time If I had known about this before hand. The vector image of the barley was also purchased from a website called; 'cutcaster.com'. I have never been sure on the idea of purchasing previously made vectors, however my illustration skills are not the best and I couldn't find any clear images of barley or vectors online for me to pen tool around. 

Logo Designs; Grey, Black & Brown.
There was no concept behind the colours chosen for these designs, just what I thought looked best. I couldn't choose just one, so I tested with a couple others to see which looked best.
For the final crit I hadn't finished my branded home brewing kit off yet and needed to give the group an idea of what the logo would look like being placed upon items that came with it. I have planned on printing these designs onto clear stickers, to be stuck on top of pint glasses, but I haven't made it down to digital print yet. Therefore I created a mock up of the designs onto a pint glass.
design board presented at final crit.
Current existing logo and type used for the 'Three Tuns Brewery'

I changed the banner and made it fall behind the colour. It was also suggested in my crit to stick with the grey colour as the majority of people said it looked the best. I have also altered the colour of the barrels as before it looked to bright, I needed a darker tone, to make it appear more professional.


Final Logo Design


No comments:

Post a Comment